One of the most wonderful features of humans is the complex connection between the body and the mind. Our mind and our body are intensively related to each other. They influence the functionality and well-being of each other. For this reason, we need the important branch of “psychiatry” in the field of psychotherapy. To learn more about this branch, we should first understand the differences between psychology and psychiatry.
What is the difference between psychology and psychiatry?
Psychiatry is a medical field. A psychiatrist attends the courses of general practice, and then they specialize in psychiatry. They learn the mental illnesses and disorders and know the biological causes of such problems to prescribe proper medications. While a psychologist studies in different fields of psychology or counseling. Even though psychologists are aware of the biological causes of the disorders, they do not prescribe medications as they have not a medical background. If a psychologist concludes that there is a need for medication, they let a psychiatrist do so. Therefore, the psychologists and psychiatrists complement each other to form the complete treatment process. Now let us take a closer look at the connection of mind and body to see the necessity of psychiatric treatment.
How do our mind and body interact?
- Most of the problems related to mental health are based upon biological or genetic causes. Even though the scientists have not yet reached a consensus on whether the bolder role is played by genetics or the experiences during one’s life, all the scientists agree that some disorders can be inherited from the last generation.
- You might have heard the names of some hormones and their effect on the human mind. For instance, the role Dopamine plays in the feeling of joy and satisfaction, the role of Serotonin on happiness and peace, and Adrenaline’s role in excitement and pleasure. If there is a problem with brain functions and the release of hormones, we might experience issues like depression or anxiety.
- Each portion of the brain has its unique function and responsibility. A disorder in the function of some of these portions will result in a change in our behavior and emotions. For instance, an injury or dysfunctionality in the front part of the brain (prefrontal cortex) is a cause for hyperactivity.
- Mental illnesses can also increase or decrease the activity of some portions of the brain. For instance, chronic depression can result in an extensive process in the right hemisphere.
- Mental illnesses change the lifestyle, sleep cycle, and digestive pattern of the patient. A typical example is overeating, or extreme diets resulted from intensive and continuous anxiety. As a result, digestive symptoms like stomachache are common among those who experience a lot of stress.
Why is it possible to need help from psychiatrists after immigration?
- Almost everyone undergoes an amount of stress because of immigration. Stress is the leading cause of most mental problems goes severe. For this reason, those who had experienced psychological issues are most likely to need the treatment. In addition, stress can be the only cause of some of these problems and might distort one’s capability by affecting physical well-being or cognitive and emotional functions.
- Change in lifestyle and sleep pattern (especially when the destination is far away) is common after immigration. Having regular, deep, and sufficient sleep is necessary for keeping our body and mind healthy. Time zone differences and jetlag phenomenon result in the distortion in our internal clock, and sometimes we need medication to regulate it.
- Climate and the light we get from the sun have a massive influence on our physical operations, like the regulation pattern of hormones. Immigration to a country with a drastically different climate might twist your life patterns, and you might need medications to regulate them back.
What can Daroon do for you?
Some mental illnesses or disorders have such firm roots in biology that they cannot be treated only with counseling sessions. In such cases, the patients would be addressed about the flawed patterns in their life and the methods to change them. All being said, the biological causes would still provoke the illness. Therefore, psychologists cannot treat the illness unless the biological causes are treated. Sometimes, the patients are dealing with an illness that is not dependent on biological causes. Still, mental pressures made them so disturbed and distressed that we need to use medications to increase the efficiency of counseling sessions. This way, we use medications to help with their mental health.
Leaving mental disorders untreated means we leave our body and mind to be in a defective loop of adverse effects on each other, and the body and the mind would intensify the problems of each other. Our psychiatrists in Daroon Mental Health Centre are here for you so that if you need pharmacotherapy in addition to counseling, they help improve your mental health by prescribing proper medications.