Everyone is unique in their own way. Love and affection might enclose us and help us enter each other’s world. Nevertheless, there always remain differences, small ones and immense ones. The contrasts might influence our love and emotions; therefore, we must look at the differences from a realistic viewpoint before starting a relationship. At this point, we can get aid from premarital counselors to analyze each aspect of the relationship and see the prospective marriage from a birds-eye perspective. Premarital counseling can facilitate the relations based upon love and the cases where one decides to marry someone regarding their strong points.
What makes premarital counseling necessary?
What issues are considered to be in the domain of premarital counseling?
Before two people decide to marry, they should check the unity and harmony in some crucial aspects of their life. These are the most important topics that are addressed in premarital counseling:
- Personality characteristics
- Mental health
- Communicative skills
- Expectations and red lines
- Values and goals
- Religion and spiritual views
- Levels and methods of socializing
- Financial management methods
- Sexual desires
- Interests and entertainment
- Opinions about having children
How is the necessary information obtained to comprehend the couple and their similarities?
Like any other counseling or psychology session, with any topic and goal, the first step is what we call the “Interview.” The counselors talk with the clients and ask them questions to acquire the required information. Then, they use reliable tests and measures to complete the information about the personality characteristics, the harmony, the weak points, and the flaws in the relationship.
Premarital counseling sessions: How are they conducted?
Premarital counseling usually takes 4-6 private and joint sessions. In the joint sessions, both partners attend, and they recall how and how long they started to know each other. They also inspect their personalities, conflicts, contrasts, and similarities in general. In the private sessions, each person addresses the issues that are difficult – or sometimes better not– to speak about in the joint sessions—for instance, family relations, past emotional life, sexual issues, and physical or mental disorders. Afterward, the counselor concludes the information and informs the couple about the weak and strong points of their relationship and possible challenges in their marriage. After all, the decision is with the clients but in the shadow of the counselor’s advice.
Why does premarital counseling play a more significant role after immigration?
If you decide to marry after immigration, you might find yourself wanting to marry someone from a completely different culture. In this case, in addition to the points mentioned above, there are other issues you have to consider. These are the essential points:
- Cultural differences can influence your expectations about the methods of dividing duties and managing the marriage. This issue can also cause complications in a relationship between two people from different ethnicities.
- Every social construct has its unique system of values. Some issues may be of high importance in your culture, while your partner sees them as insignificant and small.
- The other obstacle is the language. one of the most important key points of a successful relationship is to share what is inside our minds. Having difficulty in stating what you are thinking or feeling leads the relationship into problems and misconceptions.
- In Iranian culture, marriage is not only a bond between two people but also a bond between two families. To other cultures, this bond among the families might be seen as an excessive intimacy or even interference in one’s personal life.
- Your dissimilarities will become more critical when you decide to have a baby, and at this point, you should choose that you want to parent your child concerning whose culture.
What can Daroon do for you?
Our counselors in the Daroon Counselling Centre Help you examine the personality of you and your partner and see your similarities, contrasts, and understanding of each other from a scientific and psychological point of view. This way, you can plan your relationship to be happy and prosperous. If you and your partner are grown in two different cultures, we can discuss the most significant issues that you need to consider. We can help you with this subject because our team is fully aware of the most fundamental aspects of marriage, as well as the Iranian culture. Marrying someone from a different culture might arise challenges, but it can also be an opportunity for personal growth. With proper counseling, you can avoid possible challenges and lead yourself to personal growth and a sweet relationship.